Thursday, January 31, 2013

Chapter 8

The Dentist:
It was the most random chapter.
I couldn't seem to find the relevance behind it however, it connected to me. I felt like the randomness of the chapter related to how unnecessary a checkup might have seemed to those soldiers being as they were living in the middle of a war zone.

My mom works in the dental field and because of that it connected with me. Since I was little she has had a little sculpture or porcelain statue of a dentist giving a man a checkup who appears to be tortured by  the dentist. When I walked by it I felt like it related to the chapter and the soldiers terrifying fear of the dentist. I tried to come up with a way of representing the randomness behind the whole chapter and I came up with two different ways. One is a gun in the background of the statue representing the dangerous and risky atmosphere and the statue randomly in front it representing the randomness of the situation and chapter. 

I also made a collage of black and white pictures of the war and all the horrible things that the soldiers were living through and placed it under the dentist revealing yet again more randomness. This is because so much was happening during this and yet they still had dentist appointments. 






1 comment:

  1. Cool synthesis of different art forms! It captures the essence of that chapter really well. Me gusta!

    ReplyDelete