Thursday, January 31, 2013

Chapter 19

In this chapter I was able to see the relationship between Tim O'Brien and his daughter. I saw the many points he attempted to make to her but she would overlook, I saw frustration and miscommunication. I saw family and understanding. Understanding that us as individuals all long for, understanding that seems will never be fully reached when it comes to family.

I also saw a father who wanted to share so much with his daughter. He wanted to share his memories, every color, every scent, each breath and melody he had ever heard, tasted, smelt and felt in his life time. He wanted to bestow upon her the gift of history (his war history that is). He wanted to hand her the world on a silver platter represented by the many stories that makes his life story. The story he wishes to pass on to his daughter, his family, the world and future generations. 

Because Of this I felt like I had to go back to some of the paintings my dad had sent us from Afghanistan to really fully appreciate the meaning behind it. What it means to him of course. I'll never fully understand what he lived through; but we'll always have stories. 






1 comment:

  1. Cindy, you've put together some EXCELLENT work here. In terms of content, I can easily tell that you've connected to the stories in a variety of original ways. Thank you for making the story genuinely come to life for you!

    There are occasional errors in language if you want to go back through and proofread, but nothing too egregious. So great work and don't worry about making any corrections. This is EXCELLENT!

    ReplyDelete