Biff finally says, "I know who I am." What does it mean to "find yourself" and is this ever truly possible? If so, how?
Feeling lost is probably one of the most common inner conflicts that every individual faces at some point in life. Truthfully, it may seem almost inevitable and feel like a constant struggle to "find yourself". To find oneself means reaching a place in life not only mentally but also emotionally where one is at peace and harmony with accepting oneself whole heartedly. Finding yourself however, does not imply JUST accepting "reality" because that could seem like complying to certain situations. Finding yourself exemplifies ones beliefs as well as undertaking new challenges through self assurance and faith remaining true to oneself and values. It can occur out of the blue without expecting it as graceful as en epiphany such as it did with Biff when he realized that as he was sitting in that office awaiting a future that he himself knew was not right for him. On the other hand finding oneself can be an exhausting battle not only struggling with the confusion found at every corner in many aspects of life but also with one's pride such as Willy Loman does throughout the play.
I believe finding oneself is an ongoing process that will never be complete. Its in our mere nature as humans to yearn for fresh starts, adventure and spontaneity. The older we grow, the more mature we become and the more we endure we find that we may reach a point of satisfaction but happiness is something that we always look because in life its important not to just "accept", but rather to strive.
Awesome! I agree that we must take an ACTIVE role in finding who we are, what drives us, what our passions are, etc. And, I can speak as a 31-year-old, it is certainly an ongoing process as you said.
ReplyDelete